ZLC Financial’s 42nd Estate Planning Seminar
We were delighted to host our 42nd Estate Planning Seminar at Pan Pacific last week. Our speakers covered a wide range of topics from an overview of the tax landscape in 2019 to family business succession issues and specific charitable strategies to reduce the cost of donation to a nominal amount.
The incredible line up of top-notch industry professionals shared relevant information and guests walked away with expert insights and valuable updates for 2020:
- Asif Abdulla from Thornsteinssons LLP presented on the current state of tax in Canada and BC in particular as well as the options still open for business owners to take earnings out of their companies
- Farzin Remtulla from ZLC Financial spoke on the structuring of life insurance particularly in a corporate setting, the tax treatment of life insurance, some tax effective strategies using life insurance, and pitfalls and aggressive strategies to watch out for
- Diane Bell and Jeannette Aucoin of Clark Wilson presented on what family law is looking like now that the Family Law Act in BC has been in place for a number of years. An insightful presentation into the interpretation around what it is to be in a “marriage-like relationship” and what constitutes family property vs exempt property.
- Chantel Gibbs from ZLC Financial spoke on the new changes to the passive income rules in a private corporation and three specific strategies to bring the cost of donation down to a nominal amount by saving almost as much in tax as the amount of donation.
- Philip Petursson of Manulife Investments gave a market update and his thoughts on the state of the Canadian economy and where he anticipates the growth to happen in the next year.
- Aeronn Zlotnik from ZLC Financial moderated a panel of three members of successful family businesses, Karen Bichin (ABC Recycling), Gary Benson (Danica Imports) and Travis Klassen (Klassen Business Group), to ask them how their families maneuvered through their business successions, internal crises, and found help along the way to deal with the various issues
Thank you to all our speakers and attendees and we hope to see you all next year!